Below is an outline of how it worked in my classroom.
* I cut strips of construction paper and would send it home with students, usually bi-weekly.
* Students had to write the date, title, genre and a summary of what the story was about on their strip. To do this they would use both sides.
* Students brought their strips every Friday for a quick check. Strips were not yet joined.
* Students joined or made their chain at home.
* Once they reached their 80 books they brought their chain.
1. Became a Reading Queen or King and were announce on the schools intercom.
2. Got a pencil etc.
3. Their picture with a crown was put on the hall way bulletin board.
4. Chains were hung in the classroom.
5. At the end all Kings and Queens had a pizza party, where they decorated crowns.
Here are some pictures of what I mentioned above.(Sorry pictures are side ways) I also included the letter I sent home in Spanish and English. Enjoy! :)
|Chains around the room|
|Reading King and Queen hall way board|
|Student holding chain|
|Another student with chain|